HomeIndiaSixth post-anaesthetic death in a month in Chandigarh hospitalsSEXI News

Sixth post-anaesthetic death in a month in Chandigarh hospitalsSEXI News

Sixth post-anaesthetic death in a month in Chandigarh hospitals

ChandigarhA 30-year-old female patient, who had come for tooth extraction at Dr. Harvansh Singh Judge Institute of Dental Sciences and Hospital, Chandigarh, fell unconscious while sitting on the dental chair. The institute is part of the campus of Panjab University in Sector 25. Sources said that he was given sedation when he developed restlessness and shortness of breath and died after sometime.

The victim has been identified as Smt., a resident of SAS Nagar. Notably, this is the sixth death in Chandigarh in almost a month where a patient has died mysteriously, soon after which the patient succumbed to anaesthesia.

Earlier, five patients had died on a single day in the first week of September before the surgery at the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research PGIMER, Chandigarh. Five victims had come for orthopedic and neurosurgical procedures and the only common link to all five deaths was administration of propofol injections, doctors at the PGI had found.

Following that incident, doctors alerted the Central Drugs Standard Control Organization (CDSCO) on the use of propofol injection, an anesthetic drug given before major surgery. After the complaint of the doctors of PGI, the CDSCO team came to collect the sample and it has been sent to the Central Drugs Laboratory, Kolkata. Health officials have said that the drugs that probably led to the deaths have been withheld for further supplies.

While it is not clear which anesthetic drug was used on the patient who died yesterday, Dr Suman Singh, Director of Health Services, Chandigarh, has said, “We will be able to ascertain the cause only after the post-mortem. death of It is too early to guess anything before that.” Sources said, there is a strong apprehension that the cause of death of the patient was anesthetic drug.

The Dental College has clarified through an official spokesperson that prima facie it appears to be a case of Acute Pulmonary Edema and the death is due to Cardiopulmonary Arrest. The famous pop singer Michael Jackson also died from a large dose of propofol after his personal physician prescribed him a drug to put Jackson to sleep with insomnia and left him unattended.

Prosecutors then built a strong case against Jackson’s personal physician, Dr. Conrad Murray, leaving him unattended, leading to the death of the pop star.

ALSO READ: Rupee hits record low, dwindling forex reserves may exacerbate India’s financial woes

Sixth Post-Anesthetic Death at Chandigarh Hospitals in a Month first appeared on Indiahead News.